When was the last time you changed the air filters in your home? If you’re like most people, you may not quite remember—and that could be a problem. When you don’t replace your HVAC filters often enough, your health can suffer.
Fortunately, automated air filter deliveries are becoming more and more common. Air filter subscriptions serve two purposes: First, they’re convenient. You’ll never have to step out to the store to hunt for the right filter again. And perhaps more importantly, scheduling air filter deliveries at regular intervals can serve as a reminder to change your filters. The following air filter subscriptions offer hassle-free shopping and low-cost products—all with a regular reminder to take a small step toward healthier living. Here’s how the top services measured up.
Aprilaire Filter Questions
1. How often should I change my Aprilaire filter?
No matter which Aprilaire HVAC unit you have, our replacement filters should be changed after 6 to 9 months, depending on the air quality in your home. This is longer than the usual 3-6 months because the filters are thicker – they have more surface area to capture air contaminants before they fill up and need to be replaced. It’s recommended that the filter be changed more frequently if there are pets or smokers in your house. HVAC professional can assist with changing your filter, but you can do it by following the steps below:
2. How do I change my Aprilaire filter?
- 1 Find where your Aprilaire air filters are set up in your home.
- 2 Open the panel that encases the air filters – it will be a cover on the front of the unit and should pop off with mild force. Depending on your model, the front panel may have latches on the inside.
- 3 Remove the old air filter from its compartment.
- 4 Dispose of the old panel.
- 5 Install the new filter in the compartment – you’ll see an arrow telling you which direction the filter needs to face. Generally, the air flow direction should point towards your HVAC system, since air is flowing in from outside to the unit. As you slide the filter in, it should slide into the grooves at the top and bottom of the unit.
- 6 Seal the panel by pushing it back into the front of the unit.
Of note – normally, replacing an Aprilaire filter involves removing a plastic frame encasing the filter, then placing the new filter within it before returning it to your unit. FilterBuy’s Aprilaire filter replacements replace the plastic frame and cartridge all in one, so you can quickly and easily load our filter into your unit.
3. Which way does the Aprilaire filter go in?
On each Aprilaire filter, there should be arrows or indicators displayed on the sides of the filters to show you which way the filter needs to be installed. The arrow must always face away from the return duct, which carries air that needs to be heated or cooled.
4. What is the difference between Aprilaire 210 and 213?
Aprilaire 210 filters have a MERV 11 rating while Aprilaire 213 filters have a MERV 13 rating, meaning the Aprilaire 213 filter providers a higher efficiency and will remove smaller particles from the air. You can expect higher quality of air with an Aprilaire 213 filter.
5. How effective are Aprilaire filters?
Aprilaire HVAC units can support a maximum MERV rating of 13 – which can filter out 98% of air born particles in your home and can filter extremely small particles. These are extremely effective for those with asthma and allergies.