Indoor air quality is a major factor in comfort, health, and even energy efficiency. Pollutants from dust to pet dander to seasonal allergens can circulate through your home’s air, creating problems. This is where a high-quality air filter like those made by Aprilaire can help.
Aprilaire filters work with your existing HVAC system to purify the air in your home. By removing airborne particles, they ensure you and your family breathe cleaner, fresher indoor air. With a wide range of filter types available, choosing the right Aprilaire model for your needs ensures optimal performance.
In this guide, we’ll cover the key criteria to evaluate when shopping for Aprilaire filtration. We’ll review top-rated Aprilaire filters for whole-home air purification based on efficiency, smart features, compatibility with HVAC systems and budgets. Let’s start breathing easier!
What to Look for in an Aprilaire Air Filter
Aprilaire offers several air filter types utilizing various filtration technologies. Here are the most important factors to compare:
Common Aprilaire types include:
- Pleated – Medium efficiency with large surface area. Disposable.
- Roll – Basic panel filters made of woven fibers. Disposable.
- Electrostatic – Uses static charge to attract particles. Washable.
- Automatic Roll – Self-advancing roll filter moved by motor.
- Whole House – Multi-stage systems for whole-home purification.
The filter type impacts its efficiency, longevity, and maintenance needs.
Filtering Efficiency Rating
Efficiency is measured by MERV or FPR rating. Higher ratings capture more tiny particles. Look for:
- MERV 11-16: Removal of pollen, mold, dust, pet dander, smoke.
- FPR 6-10: Smoke, bacteria, sneeze droplets, textile fibers.
Higher is better for cleaner air, but must match HVAC capabilities.
Aprilaire filters come in all standard HVAC system sizes. Measure the existing filter to ensure an accurate size match.
Added Smart Features
Higher end Aprilaire filters offer smart capabilities like:
- Digital replacement reminders
- Wireless connectivity to monitor performance
- Airflow sensors
These automate maintenance and allow you to check your indoor air quality from an app. Convenience does come at a cost though.
- Unit cost for type of filter
- Cost per replacement filter
- Potential installation fees if not DIY
Larger sizes or added tech features increase the price. Factor in future filter change costs too.
HVAC System Compatibility
Ensure your system can handle the back pressure created by upgraded filtration without impeding performance. Consult HVAC experts if unsure.
Now let’s review some of the best Aprilaire filters across these criteria.
Reviews of the Top Aprilaire Air Filter Models
After extensive research into the full range of Aprilaire filter products for residential HVAC systems, these models consistently rise to the top for performance, features, and overall value:
1. Aprilaire 2140 Pleated Air Filter
This reasonably priced pleated filter offers reliable medium efficiency particle removal.
- Type: Pleated
- MERV Rating: 11
- Sizes: 14 x 25 inches up to 20 x 35 inches
- Features: N/A
- Cost: $10-$25
- Inexpensive for budget buyers
- Provides decent MERV 11 particle removal
- Made by trusted Aprilaire brand
- Requires frequent monthly changes
- Not high efficiency or long lasting
Best For: Basic filtration needs on a budget
The Aprilaire 2140 gives you their proven performance in a wallet-friendly disposable filter. It’s a cost-effective maintenance option.
2. Aprilaire 213 Replacement Filter
This affordable, effective roll-style filter boasts an impressive MERV 13 rating.
- Type: Roll panel
- MERV Rating: 13
- Sizes: All standard HVAC sizes
- Features: N/A
- Cost: $15-$35
- Inexpensive given MERV 13 filtration
- Traps small pollen, mold, pet dander particles
- Long 3-4 month life per filter
- Manual changing required
- Disposable rather than washable
Best For: Value-focused shoppers needing MERV 13 filtration
With MERV 13 particle removal at this price point, the Aprilaire 213 filter is an overachiever. It keeps indoor air noticeably cleaner between changes.
3. Aprilaire 2410 Air Filter
This electronic air cleaner uses charged plates to trap even tiny indoor pollutants.
- Type: Electronic media
- MERV Rating: 12
- Sizes: 14 x 25 inches up to 20 x 35 inches
- Features: Washable panels
- Cost: $130-$200
- Effectively cleans air using static electric charge
- Washable cells make changeouts infrequent
- Lasts 1-3 years with cleaning
- High upfront unit cost
- Larger models require professional installation
Best For: People wanting advanced filtration without frequent filter buying
While pricier upfront, the 2410 pays off over time with its extremely effective filtration and lack of disposable media to frequently replace.
4. Aprilaire 8100 Whole Home Air Purifier
This elite multi-stage system cleans all the air circulating through your home’s HVAC system.
- Type: Whole home 5-stage purification
- MERV Rating: 19
- Sizes: Designed for home HVAC systems
- Features: Electronic filter status tracking
- Cost: $1600+ professionally installed
- Unparalleled MERV 19 ultra-fine particle removal
- Advanced 5-stage filtration technology
- Monitors filter status remotely
- Very expensive system requiring professional installation
- Elaborate for simple DIY installation
Best For: Whole home air purification with best possible filtration
While definitely a splurge, the elite Aprilaire 8100 offers true medical-grade air purification if you have the budget and want peace of mind.
Professional Installation Recommendations
To ensure optimal Aprilaire filter performance and longevity, professional installation is recommended. HVAC experts will:
- Accurately size the filter system to your HVAC specs.
- Check system compatibility and make any necessary adjustments.
- Ensure proper airflow balance and ventilation.
- Program any smart filter features like digital timers.
- Provide instructions on proper maintenance and replacement.
- Offer follow-up visits to check performance and diagnose issues.
While DIY filter changes are fine for basic models, advanced Aprilaire systems involve some expertise to correctly install and integrate with your existing HVAC equipment. Consider getting a free estimate – the long term benefits may justify the initial investment.
Answers to Common Aprilaire Air Filter Questions
Here are answers to some frequently asked questions about Aprilaire filtration systems:
Do all Aprilaire filters work with any HVAC system?
No. Advanced models require proper sizing and HVAC capabilities. Always verify compatibility beforehand.
What MERV ratings do Aprilaire filters come in?
Their filters range from MERV 11 all the way up to MERV 19 for hospital-grade filtration. Higher MERV systems have greater filtration capabilities.
How often do you need to change Aprilaire filters?
Frequency depends on the model. Disposable filters need monthly to quarterly changes. Washable media can go 1-3 years between servicing.
Can you clean Aprilaire filters instead of replacing them?
Some models like electronic media filters are designed for cleaning by hand or hose. Disposable types must be replaced.
How can you tell if you need a whole-home Aprilaire system?
Whole-home models are overkill for basic needs but recommended if you have severe allergies/asthma or desire advanced air purification.
Where can you buy replacements?
Genuine Aprilaire filters are sold by HVAC companies, Amazon, Home Depot, and via the Aprilaire website. Only use authentic Aprilaire media.
What’s the average installation cost?
DIY pleated filters start under $25. Whole-house systems range from $2000 to $4000 installed. HVAC experts can give quotes for your specific home.
Do Aprilaire filters eliminate odors and pet dander?
High-efficiency Aprilaire models are excellent at trapping pet dander, smoke odors, and other airborne allergens and particles.
Breathe Easier With Aprilaire
Cleaner indoor air really makes a difference in comfort, health, and safety for homes and families. With a wide range of filter types, efficiency ratings, and smart capabilities, Aprilaire has an option to suit any needs and budget.
Be sure to consider your existing HVAC system, filtration needs, maintenance preferences, and budget when deciding on the best Aprilaire filter model for your home. With the right air filter properly installed, you can breathe in the fresh, purified air you deserve.